Saturday, September 10, 2011

Childern at Weddings and Receptions

At a recent wedding, I found myself repeatedly telling (I ask children if they are hungry; I don't ask them to behave) a group of children to stop running willy-nilly throughout the reception area.  The parent of one child approached me, informed me that running is what children do, and if his child wanted to run, he could.  I informed him that children are welcome here as long as they are supervised at all times, and if his child wanted to run, he was welcome to do so out in the pasture under the supervision of his father.  

Talk to small children beforehand about the event and include consideration for the property and other guests.  Ask if he/she would like to bring an activity to amuse themselves (such as a hand-held game -- no crayons or markers, please).  Let he/she run and play earlier in the day before they arrive.  And when all else fails, be prepared to supervise them while they run around.  If you're not up to the task, hire a sitter. 

No comments: